Wednesday 13 February 2013

The "Don't Run" regime kicks in

Four days is a long time in the life of a temporary former-runner. Despite the inclement weather there seem to be extra runners of all shapes and sizes, out and about, pounding the pavements, deliberately winding me up with their "We can run, you can't" expressions.

Otherwise, the "Don't Run" world looks largely the same, apart from the particular drawer in which I keep my running clothes. It's bursting at the seams now with newly redundant garments. During my "Run" period, half of the clothing, particularly the favourite items were draped over radiators, or in the washing machine. The "Don't run" life has reminded me how much of this stuff I own.

In an effort to preserve my hard earned running fitness I've been flirting with the kind of activities that I should have been doing all along but couldn't be arsed. Sunday night combined a super-sized roast dinner with some core strength exercises including the dreaded planks.Today I did my first bike commute for over a year giving those legs a 27 mile round trip a serious without all that running related bone bashing. The £8.00 saved from the Underground journey was unfortunately ploughed into an unnecessarily large lunch to steel me for the journey home which showed me how out of practice I was when it comes to the cycling game. All in all it was good to get back in with London's yellow jacketed cycling community. However I was still jealous of the people who deliberately chose a route to run to and from their places of work which gave them the chance to taunt me with their high impact sporting moves.

Tonight I've been toying with the idea of standing on one of those little platforms and doing some leg strengthening exercises but the rehydrating beer might have put paid to that...

No comments:

Post a Comment