Tuesday 19 February 2013

Running on Water


A couple of days ago I paid a visit to the local swimming pool with the aim of doing a few lengths of freestyle. Before taking up the running thing, swimming was pretty much the only sport I had any competence at and was the "easy" bit when I tried a triathlon in 2009.

What struck me most last Sunday was how regular running only really prepares you for yet more regular running (unless a stress fracture strikes in which case it doesn't even prepare you for that). My 9 year old daughter swam up and down the lane with me and soon left me in a cloud of chlorinated "dust". Clearly I have some catching up to do on the swimming front.

Towards the end of my session I remembered talk of running in water in a number of  injury recovery programmes I'd consulted so I had a go. Without knowing the details of the technique, I swam to a place where it was too deep to stand up and started running on the spot. It was hard work with my legs going in big exaggerated circles, a bit like riding a massive penny farthing. I kept it up for a couple of minutes and then grabbed the poolside, knackered.

I've since checked on how I should have done water running the proper way but was initially shocked to discover that this was just the first stage of a journey to the ultimate skill - running on water.

No comments:

Post a Comment